Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Greek Life Manifesto

The Fraternity doesn't make you, You make the Fraternity.

Just so you guys are aware I am in a Fraternity. And some people may say "It's buying friends," or "It's not worth it." TRUST ME It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. 

Today's post I actually wrote a long while ago when I first joined my organization in Fall of 2012. And everything I said in that post is true today.

This blog shouldn't make my non Greek Friends want to join a Fraternity but rather it's me expressing why I'm still very glad that I did!  Not only do I love my brothers, I love my organization, and I love my school's Greek Community! These are the reasons I love being Greek.


First: The Brotherhood/Family: I don't think Greek Life is buying friends. It’s about the common bond you share with the men or women in your org. For me my brother is in that organization and I always admired the bond he shared and still does share with his chapter and other brothers. I remember being around them and being treated like everyone’s little brother. I loved that I wanted nothing more to be apart of that brotherhood when I was old enough. Every moment with is like being with family. Yeah we argue but at the end of the day it’s nothing but love.  It’s exactly what I knew it would be and actually even more! 
SECOND: NETWORKING: I mean I just got here so I don’t really know that much about this aspect. But from all orgs (both NPHC and IFC/PanHel) I see some amazing notable alumni.  I know alot of people in my org who are CEO’s, entertainers, and innovators.  I can’t wait to go to conferences and meetings and shake hands with those people.  I can’t wait to be a big name someday and I do the same thing! 
Third: Responsibility:  Before I  joined  I was pretty well known on my campus. I held presidential positions on campus, But now I feel like I represent more than myself I’m reflecting an image for my org. When I go to a groups program or event or party I am a rep for my org and my chapter. 
Fourth: Social Life: Just being real I love parties and dances. I remember seeing people stroll or hang out with their organizations. I remember going to step shows and seeing frats and sororities. I love that I can be apart of that now.  

Now Back to the present. As I said I love Greek life and other Greeks will tell you it is a lot of work keeping the chapter afloat but in the end you make lifelong friends and memories! My advice today isn't to go out and be Greek but just to find a club or organization (Greek or Non Greek) that makes you feel this way! 

--CT
Homework for the Week:  Get creative, take a piece of paper and draw something or write something short even if your not an artist. Keep your mind stimulated because for us college kids summer is almost over! =/

4 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention that it also makes you responsible in other ways. For instance, you have to pay your dues, and pay them on time. It also makes you accountable. Because if a non-Greek messes up at their school they have to deal with the school, and maybe their parents. However, if a Greek messes up. That person has to deal with their school, their chapter, the Greek counsel, their Alumni, and their families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great addition, I didn't really touch on responsibility but you're right Greek life makes you a lot more responsible.

      Delete
  2. I completely agree. The networking, social status, responsibility, leadership, and brotherhood (or sisterhood)most importantly. Before anyone makes any comments against it, learn the truth and get to know and be around some and you may not feel the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, getting to know the actual Greek community on campus can change the opinion of the Greek Community as a whole.

      Delete